Friday, October 15, 2010

Advice Please? Part Two

This one was so strange today that I almost thought it was an early Halloween prank. I'm still shaking my head at this one. Mainly because it was so surreal.
A man walks into the office, with no animal. I didn't see a car parked but we do get a bit of foot traffic because of where we're located.
"Hi, how can I help you?"
"I need to talk to the vet about my dog."
"Do you have your dog with you?"
"No"
"Has your dog seen our vet before?"
"No."
"I'm sorry, Doctor doesn't consult without having seen the animal before, maybe I can help you some."
"I need him to tell me what's wrong with my dog."
"What's going on with your dog?"
"She's a German Shepherd. She hasn't eaten in a month, and now she can't walk."
"She's eaten nothing in a whole month? No food for 30 days?"
"No she hasn't. I was walking her every day but now her legs won't work."
"When did she stop eating?"
"I had another vet take some tumors off her chest about 2 months ago. She was fine, then a month ago, she stopped eating and I want someone to tell me what it could be."
"Were the tumors cancerous?"
"I don't know, I didn't pay for the biopsies, only for the removal. What could it be?"
"There's a lot of possibilities, but it would be impossible to tell without her being seen by a vet and some diagnostics. Not eating for a month is very serious, and she should be seen."
"But she's drinking water!"
"Yes, sir, but if she hasn't been eating for a month, she's slowly starving to death. She needs to be seen by a vet. Really it's best to have a vet see a pet if it hasn't eaten for two days, and this is much longer than that."
"Okay, thanks"
Then he leaves.

During this conversation this man had a totally flat affect, no emotion at all. I've never seen him before. We do get people who wander in, and they ask a question about pet care.  Many of them are lonely. I'm really hoping that this is the case and there is no dog in this condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment