Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Some Cheese With That Whine?

Clients tell me all the time how much they love their pets. Not that it stops them from bitching about the cost of veterinary care.
One of these is a woman whose dog was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is getting diagnosed pretty commonly in dogs nowadays, whether commercial dog foods are behind it or just an increase in awareness I'm not sure. The most expensive of the thyroid meds run about $30 a month, and yes, they can be found cheaper elsewhere. Even at our prices, it's still one of the most inexpensive conditions to manage. Which doesn't stop her from pissing and moaning about it, although she Loves Her Dog.
She comes in for a refill and I see a note on the chart that the dog's dosage is has been cut in half, which sometimes happens during the adjustment period. I make the remark that it must be nice to have to pay only half the price for the dog's meds.
"Yes, but I still have to go to all the trouble of cutting the pills in half."

::::headdesk::::::

1 comment:

  1. How pathetic! Our Chesepeake Bay is on an arthritis medication that is $70 a month. I gladly pay that and don't bitch! My dogs are my kids and I would probably pay more for their health care/vet bills than I would my own health care/doctor bills!

    ReplyDelete